Friday, April 22, 2011

My dad's visit

April truly is family month. Not only did my brothers grace us with a visit at the beginning of this lunar cycle, my father also came over for a visit last week. It was great to see him again and to catch up. We spent time walking through the city, drinking beer at a beer garden (for the weather was beautiful - and has been ever since) and made a daytrip to Oranienburg to visit the Nazi death camp Sachsenhausen, a chilling yet well-documented memorial. Here are some pictures:




 



I enjoyed our talks about the past, we spent a long time discussing my parents' divorce and the effects that this fact had on us children. I personally believe my parents could not have made a better decision for all of us and think that they handled the following hardships very well. It was hard for both them when they separated, but they both found someone new. Both of them found someone who was a much better match for them than they had ever been for one another. That is what I always tell people when they ask me what it was like for me to go through my parents' divorce - and that is what I wholeheartedly believe. It felt good to be able to tell my father that.

Oh, and of course we went to Prater:



And the good thing is, April is not over. It is Easter weekend at that means we have four days off. But we will not be celebrating these days by ourselves. We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of even more family members: Olaf's parents are driving up as we speak and my mother and her boyfriend could arrive any moment now! This will be a wonderful weekend!

Happy Easter, everybody!

1 comment:

M. van Aerde said...

Glad to hear you had such good talks with your dad, caro. : )