Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I wanna go swimming!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao tutti,

I don't understand Italians. Well actually, I don't understand Italians who work in swimming pools. I have been trying to take up swimming again ever since we got back from our holiday, but for some reason I just haven't been able to. It all started before we went on holiday when I tried to go swimming in early August. According to Italians, the middle of summer is a obviously good time to close all swimming pools, because - let's face it - who would want to go swimming when it's 35 degrees?!?!?! So they closed down the two pools closest to our house to do them up. Fortunately, I was able to go to an outside pool in August, but they naturally closed it on 1 September, because that's when winter started. Winter?!?! Yes, winter! Italians tend to think winter starts when summer holidays are over, so I was without a pool until the end of September. After that, when the pool I usually go to reopened, I was really excited and wanted to pick up my routine again. But they just don't want me to. Whenever I go, they're always closed. The first time they had some kind of private party going on so I wasn't allowed to enter. This disappointed me, but I didn't think much of it. The second time they were just randomly closed, which annoyed me quite a bit. However, one would think one would get lucky at some point, right? Wrong! This morning, Olaf and I got up really early to finally be able to go swimming. However, even though the website said they were open until 9h30, when we we got there it turned out they closed at 9h00, because it's obviously extremely important to get everyone out of the water 30 minutes before the first lesson starts... Don't even get me started on that!! To put it in the words of Lady Catherine de Burgh, 'I was quite put out!'.

Anyway, this minor inconvenience - which actually bothers me quite a lot because I have been growing a little belly during our holidays - life's going well. I'm having some problems digesting but I'm sure that will pass and having to teach English and Dutch is getting me a little bit confused language wise, but we can't expect life to be always easy, now can we? I'm enjoying my teaching and being back in Milan. I'm also really looking forward to having visitors again as we haven't had any since Bart and Tineke before we went on holiday. Femke and Ruud are going to be the first ones this weekend. Belinda is also going to be in town as of Thursday and I'm really excited to see her again!

Last weekend was nice though, our last weekend without visitors. Marta is in town and we had a lovely aperitivo with her and some friends of Olaf's last Tuesday and we saw them again yesterday evening. We went out for cocktails to say goodbye to her and to Björn, who left today to go to Germany to do an internship. Poor Olaf, nearly everyone from his year has now gone to work abroad for some time, well at least we've still got Idil! Last Saturday, Nina and Anto came over to enjoy Olaf's home-made sushi, which was lovely. We enjoyed ourselves immensely but had a little bit too much to drink though...

I don't have that much to tell, really. You know how life is, it just is. There are periods you do a lot of cool things worthy of mentioning, but there are also those weeks when nothing interesting happens. This is one of those periods. Will update soon with more news worth writing about.

XXX, Fe

No comments: