Saturday, October 14, 2006

Alcoholic paupers doing some shopping

Owwkayyy *hips* zzzo zis is whap havvenedd zoday *hips*

Yesterday evening, we had a lovely aperitivo with my new-found friend Belinda and her fiance Enrico. It was great, although we were all a bit hesitant in the beginning because Olaf hadn't met Belinda yet and I hadn't met Enrico (and so obviously Olaf and Enrico hadn't met either). But afterwards we really hit it off and terrorized La Ringhiera with loud political discussions, domestic squabble and lots of laughter. After dinner, Olaf went home because he was tired from working all week, whereas I was up for a night out because my weekend had already started Wednesday evening because all my courses on Thursday and Friday had been cancelled. So Belinda, Enrico and I went to Bar Magenta where we had been told there would be a gathering of English-speaking people who would be eating and drinking there. Unfortunately, we had just missed them but we did find Belinda's and my teaching coordinator there who was just preparing to leave. We persuaded him to have another drink with us and in our conversation we found out an unexpected fact.

You see, Belinda and I had been speculating for a while what the relations were between the members of the management team of our school on a personal level- because it is obvious that there have to people who are sleeping with each other, even if it's just because it's fashionable to have affairs with one of more of your colleagues and unavoidable because of the soapy character of life - and we had come up with some (according to us) quite plausible theories. But then our coordinator turned out to be as gay as a Christmas tree! This was quite a shock to both of us and especially to me, because my gaydar is usually quite accurate and hardly ever fails. But he certainly is a new model espionage plane, because he just dove right under it! Anyway, it just proves that the possibilities for the new developments in the Corporate English soap (written and directed by the both of us, of course) have just been multiplied by factor gay! Che Days of Our Lives! At least it states clearly once again that camp isn't just a row of tents!

Anyway, after that I went home and naturally we slept late this morning. After this, we decided it was time to do some shopping. Last week, I received my first paycheck and Olaf his scholarship, so we had some money to spend. And as Olaf was experiencing a minor clothing emergency, we hit the town. As Saturdays are quite busy days for shopping and because Olaf and I shop in a completely different way and for completely different motives - he is too picky for his budget and shops with a specific idea in mind of what he wants to have and I have too many clothes anyway and just let myself be seduced by all the funky designs and shiny things - he didn't succeed at all. But I'm proud to say I brought home some lovely things I don't need at all!

After that we went to do our weekly groceries. These consisted of a box of beer, a bag of wine, some martini, some gin and some campari. Oh, and some cheesy thingies and vegetables as well. Fortunately, we know we're not alcoholics. We're happy drinkers! But when we got home we did make and unfortunate discovery: our wine rack is too small*! ;-)

Ciao, Fe

*Which of course doesn't mean we're not happy with it... Thank you so much, dear inlaws, it's great!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I have managed to post something :D

Marianne

Anonymous said...

That Milanese-English-department-Che-'Days of Our Lives'-soap of yours sounds deliciously juicy and spicy!
I will 'stay tuned'... ;)

P.S. Maybe Olaf will have more luck with shopping in London. I know I do! They just opened a lovely new shopping centre practically nextdoor to Mecklenburgh Square - including my very own favourite London-exclusive fashion-shoe-shop (called 'Office')!! Hooray!