Sunday, November 05, 2006

The weekend of 10 visitors!

Ciao tutti,

I haven't posted anything for about two and a half weeks. You must have been thinking I had died or had an accident or something. Well, none of the above. I've just been quite unable to get hold of a computer for enough time. You see, I'm currently deprived of my own comp and have to use Olaf's but unfortunately he's rather obsessed and is very loath to let it go (I try not to call him an addict, but it gets harder every day...).

So what happened to my computer? Well, it's ill and currently recovering at the computer hospital in Holland. Seriously, how was I to know it would have an allergic reaction to the glass of sticky white bubbly I fed it?! I drink the stuff all the time! Anyway, the emergency team thought it was better to take custody of my baby away from me and put her in the care of a computer doctor in Holland. I suppose they thought that being a happy drinker (not an alcoholic!!!) made me an unfit parent... Fortunately, the damage isn't that great and she will be back by my side in two weeks. Diagnosis: permanent disfunctioning of several external sense organs. Prognosis: will be able to function perfectly again but will need prostheses for the rest of her life (external keyboard).

So, what has happened in the last two weeks of 'the emotional rollercoaster which I laughingly call my life' (Angelina Jolie in Playing by Heart)? Well, as you may have been able to deduce from my last post, we had some visitors. My mother, brothers and sister-in-law came to stay for the weekend and we had loads of fun. We drank too much, slept too little, ate a lot and even managed to see some sights. Of course, as different people have different desires, we often split up and let everyone do as he or she pleased. However, there is one thing that must be mentioned specifically: on Thursday we went to the awesome birreria La Fontanella (after having had ridiculously large pizza's at La Padellaccia - literally 'The Bad Pan' - before), where we of course had fucili - large glasses in the shape of an 18th-century rifle - and every single one of us became covered in beer in no time, and Olaf managed to smash two of these 50 euro glasses against each other. Fortunately, only one broke...


It's so easy to make boys happy...

(There will be some more pictures here, but I'm having some trouble uploading them)

On Saturday we were joined by Olaf's parents who finally arrived after a disastrous voyage from the Swiss border. Firstly, their telephone turned out not to work in Italy, secondly they got lost driving through Milan without a map and thirdly - to make matters worse - they had a flat tyre in the middle of Milan (che deja vu! Olaf and my father had a flat tyre with that car in Milan two months ago, even though those tyres are supposed to be indestructible! Can we smell litigation...?). But fortunately everything got sorted out in the end and they were finally able to start enoying their visit. For both my family as for Olaf's parents it was the first time they had visited us in Milan. We had some lovely meals and drinks and Olaf took his parents to see all the sights on Sunday. On that same day, our next two visitors arrived, Bard, Olaf's friend from Groningen, and his friend Marlous who we hadn't met yet. As a result, we were quite a large party that evening, so we just had to go to my favourite aperitivo place La Ringhiera (because that is the only place with enough space to accommodate large groups). And Marlous turned out to be a lovely girl! A bit strange and completely bonkers perhaps, but then again, so are we...

On Monday, my family and Olaf's parents left again and it was just the four of us until Wednesday. Unfortunately, I was already so tired I'm afraid I wasn't able to appreciate Bard's and Marlous' visit to the fullest nor did the copious amounts of alcohol and short nights have a very good influence on my teaching abilities. But this was to be expected. Even though I really like having visitors, 7 days in a row was just too much...

As this was the week before my birthday, I of course got a lot gifts! Just to name a few:

  • a router (from my inlaws), so we will finally be able to enjoy the comfort of wireless internet, that is, after we figure out how to plug it in...
  • a towl rack (from my brothers and sister-in-law), which was much needed
  • Fabrizio (from my mother and her boyfriend), a human-sized hat-and-coat stand in the form of a man. I actually think he looks a bit like Fido Dido. I promise, there will be a picture of him on my blog soon...
  • A really cool corkscrew from High-Tech (from Olaf), which will hopefully finally bring our useless discussions about which kind of corkscrew is superior to an end... (aren't we pathetic?!)
  • Loads of very sweet cards, emails, texts and e-cards. All of you who thought of me, thank you so much!
  • Kanis & Gunnink coffee. Yummieieieieieieieieieie!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking about my birthday, there are a detailed report of the party and (hopefully) some photos coming up...

Ciao,

Fedor

No comments: